How to get system issues attended to fast
This How-to applies to: Any version.
Submit the issue on-line
By submitting issues in an on-line tracker, all of the Bika technical team are informed immediately and its resolution can be co-ordinated and scheduled without delay - it remains the most effective way to manage issue resolution
Please log issues and feature requests in the Bika issue tracker
It is important that you get enough information to the help desk to help them resolve the issue. More information can be conveyed in writing and technicians get more done if they stay off the phone
One issue per tracker item
To make it easier to manage issues to resolution, please submit only one issue per tracker item
Meaningful subject line
Please give issues
meaningful titles to make it easier to find them on list displays, email folders and using search functions on-line
Answer these questions
1. What did you try to do? Where in the system were you and what action caused the error
NB. Please copy the web address from the browser and include in the issue
2. What user authorisation did you use? E.g. lab clerk, analyst or lab manager?
3. What did you expect to happen?
4. What happened?
5. Any error messages? If the system produced an error message, or trace back, please try to copy the text and past it into your email or tracker submission. Attach screen shots if necessary. In follow-up, support technicians might also request copies of your server log
http://pastie.org/ is easy for pasting and posting long texts
Maintain the issue resolution work-flow
We recently moved the Bika tracker from Github to Jira, please see http://jira.bikalabs.com/ for general issues
- When a user posts an item to the tracker, it is created with status 'open' in the tracker
- Once addressed, the developer working on it will re-assign the issue to the submitter and change its status to 'closed', and label it as 'In progress'
- And 'Resolve' it when done
- This is the submitter's signal, per email, to re-test the issue. If it persists, comment and Re-open' it
- If and when tested successfully, please change it status to 'Closed', watch it disappear from the list and experience a few moments of feel good